DI Magazine and DIY Photo Manual Portrait Retouching Reader's Competition
Come on don't be shy, show us your best pics!
We are running a special reader's competition in conjunction with with the Portrait edition of DI Magazine (click here for details) and our new Portraiture DIY Manuals (click here for details). So show us the images that you are most proud of. Simply use the steps below to prepare your submission and then email us your best photos. We'll display them in our special 'live' reader's galleries like you see below. We have monthly prizes for the best images including great new filters and action-sets for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements and custom presets for Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw.
So come on don't be shy, show us your pics and in the meanwhile have a look at the photos recently uploaded by fellow readers.
Steps for submitting your photos
Want to submit your photo for judging in our competition? Well it is simple. Just follow these steps:
01 Make a copy of your finished photo and then resize the copy so that it is no bigger than 1000x1000 pixels. So for vertical pictures the image might be 1000 pixels high by 600 pixels wide where as a horizontal photo will be 1000 pixles wide and 600 pixels high.
02 Save the photo as a JPEG file with a setting of 8 or 80. When saving use your name as the file name for the photo e.g. Philip_Andrews.jpg.
Try these instructions for specific software:
In Photoshop and Photoshop Elements
Use Image > Image size to change pixel dimensions and then File > Save As to save a copy as a JPEG file. Alternatively, you can use the File > Save For Web & Devices feature (File > Save For Web in Elements), setting both the file type (JPEG) and image dimensions in the panel on the right of the dialog box. If you haven't already, rename the resultant JPEG file before emailing it.
Select the image in the Library module and then choose File > Export. Select JPEG as the format and 80 as the Quality in the File Settings section of the Export dialog box. The pick the Resize To Fit option and select the Long Edge setting of of 1000 pixels in the Image Sizing section. Click Export to save the file. Rename the resultant JPEG file before emailing it.
In Adobe Camera Raw
Select the image in Bridge and then go to Tools > Photoshop > Image Processor. After Photoshop opens and the Image Processor dialog box displays, choose JPEG as the file type, 8 as the Quality and 1000 px for both width and height settings in the Resize to Fit area. Click Run to process the file and then open then rename the resultant JPEG file before emailing it.
Good luck and be sure to check back to this page so you can see your own photos appear live in this special reader's gallery.
By submitting/including/uploading your images to our competition you indicate your agreement with the following conditions:
1.You must own the Portrait issue of DI Magazine (DI03) or the Portrait Retouching DIY Photo Manual to enter this competition. Winners may be asked to prove their ownership before being awarded the prize.
2. You can only submit one entry to the competition unless you own both the Portrait issue of DI Magazine and the Portrait Retouching Photo Manual in which case you can submit two images.3. You own the copyright of all images submitted to the Web Galleries associated with this publication/web site. By submitting an image you are guaranteeing that you are the rightful author and copyright owner of the pictures.
4. Images displayed in the Web Galleries associated with this publication/web site remain the property of the image author, but by including your photos in these galleries you give Dark Glass Media Pty Ltd, and it’s associated publications such as DI Magazine and DIY Photo Manuals, the right to display the images in these publications and their linked websites.
5. All the photos you submit are your own work and don’t contravene any copyright laws either locally in the country of submission or internationally.
6. The judge’s decision in awarding monthly winners is final and no discussion will be entered into. We also reserve the right to not accept or display images we deem as inappropriate or not suitable for the public display and/or competition purposes.
7. You understand that images will not appear instantly on in the readers gallery as there will be a delay between submission and updating of the gallery itself.
8. Judging will occur one week after the end of the calendar month.
9. Winners will be notified by the email address used for submitting the photos and their winning entry will be displayed on the www.di-magazine website.